Building Psychological Safety Training with Michigan Technology Services
THE FOUNDATION FOR HIGH PERFORMING TEAMS
Michigan Technology Services offers instructor-led Psychological Safety training, as well as other Agile and Scrum courses, through a partnership with Karen Kemerling.
In a pre-Covid world our training would take place at our location in the Farmington Hills/Novi area, 20 miles outside of Detroit, or at your location anywhere around the world. Our Psychological Safety workshops and Agile training and coaching sessions are now offered online/virtually, reducing your need to travel.
While many educators fly into metro Detroit to deliver Scrum and Agile classes at a hotel, and then leave, our core group of trainers and coaches live here, grew up here and/or support the local Agile community. We continue to sponsor regional Agile conferences and meetups. We have successfully run Agile Leadership, ScrumMaster and Product Owner courses for multiple teams from globally recognized organizations.
What is the Psychological Safety workshop?
This highly interactive workshop unpacks Psychological Safety, based on the world renown researchers Timothy Clark, Brené Brown, Amy Edmonson, Adam Grant, Peter Bregman and David Rock.
The workshop walks each leader through 4 stages humans must take to move from inclusion to innovation. The 5-module course is held online in 105-minute sessions plus a summary session and action plan for each attendee (a total of 9+ hours in 6 sessions).
This workshop jumps out of the theory and into actionable and tangible steps leaders can take to incorporate Psychological Safety in the work environment.
Session one: Introduction
- Overview – what is psychological safety
- Understand the business impact and why this matters so much
- Understand what is vulnerability
- Background and research supporting the workshop
Session two: Inclusion Safety
- Overview – what is inclusion safety
- Understand why people feel excluded
- How to create inclusion safety
- Understand the impact on the brain pain center
- Examine your bias and stereotypes
- Takeaway and next steps to create inclusion safety
Session three: Learner Safety
- Overview – what is learner safety
- How we can create learner safety
- Understand what impedes learning
- Takeaway and next steps to create learner safety
Session four: Contributor Safety
- Overview – what is contributor safety
- How to create contributor safety
- Understand coaching and accountability
- Takeaway and next steps to build contributor safety
Session five: Challenger Safety
- Overview – what is challenger safety
- How we can create challenger safety
- Understand what impedes challenging the status quo
- Takeaway and next steps to enable challenger safety
Session six: Workshop Summary and Next Steps
- Debrief Challenger Safety experiments and learning
- Participants next steps and commitments
- Workshop summary and impact
- Optional Assessments and Team Survey
Your Workshop Leader:
|Karen Kemerling is a Certified Enterprise Coach (CEC), as well as a Certified Agile Leader (CAL) facilitating the Agile Leadership Journey coaching practice for global leaders on-line. She is a Neuroscience Certified Brain Based Coach, and she is a Psychological Safety Certified Trainer and Coach. She uses these approaches in workshops and to actively coach leaders to develop a growth-mindset and foster psychologically safe teams and organizations.
Karen co-developed the Women in Agile Leadership (WiAL) program, supporting and encouraging women executives & leaders to find their voice and lead authentically in a complex multi-cultural setting.
In 2011, Karen was nominated by the Denver Business Journal as the CIO of the year in the Non-Profit Sector. In 2015, she was also voted one of the top 3 Businesswomen of the Year in Denver.
In 2002, Karen successfully completed her doctoral dissertation on the Productivity of Remote Teams
Additional Benefits of taking our Psychological Safety course
Participants are eligible for Scrum Educational and Professional Development Units
Our upcoming public Psychological Safety workshop will start August 2, 2023. 6 Wednesdays (105 minute sessions) through September 6. The course fee is $ 1,145/student. While we are located in Farmington Hills the August Psychological Safety workshop will be virtual, using Zoom and Mural software.
Want a Psychological Safety workshop for your team?
Private classes for groups are available upon request. Contact us by email or call 248-489-0408 for details.